Hybrid and electric vehicles are becoming increasingly popular due to their environmental friendliness and fuel efficiency. The number of hybrid and electric cars on the road has been steadily increasing over the past few years. And the number is expected to continue to grow in the coming years. As a result of this growth, most major car brands now offer hybrid or electric versions of their popular models.
Article Quick Takes
- What are hybrid and electric vehicles, and how do they work?
- How are hybrid and electric vehicles transported?
- The benefits of shipping hybrid and electric car
- The cost of hybrid and electric car shipping
- How to prepare your hybrid or electric vehicle for shipping
- How to choose the right hybrid or electric shipping company for your needs
If you’re looking into purchasing a hybrid or electric vehicle, or you already own one and need to have it shipped, there are a few things you should keep in mind. In this article, we’ll walk you through everything you need to know about shipping hybrid and electric vehicles.
What are hybrid and electric vehicles, and how do they work?
First, let’s quickly discuss what hybrid and electric vehicles are. A hybrid vehicle is a vehicle that uses two or more different power sources to move the car. The most common type of hybrid vehicle is a gas-electric hybrid, which uses gasoline and electric power to drive the car. Electric vehicles, on the other hand, are powered solely by electricity.
How are hybrid and electric vehicles transported?
Hybrid and electric cars can typically be transported using the same methods as gasoline cars. The most common way is using an open or covered or enclosed auto transport. However, when shipping hybrid and electric vehicles, a few special considerations must be taken into account.
What’s different about shipping a hybrid or electric vehicle?
- The battery: Hybrid and electric vehicles use lithium-ion batteries to power their motors. These batteries are sensitive to many factors, including temperature, vibration, and impact.
- The hazards: Because hybrid and electric vehicles rely on batteries, there is a risk of fire if there’s a short circuit or if the battery is damaged. For this reason, hybrid and electric vehicles must be shipped with extra care.
- The charging system: Most hybrid and electric vehicles must be plugged in or run to charge their batteries. If your hybrid or electric car is not fully charged, it will need a power source to recharge.
- The weight: Electric vehicles are often much heavier than gasoline cars due to the weight of the battery. The weight can affect shipping costs and how your hybrid or electric vehicle is loaded onto a carrier.
The benefits of shipping hybrid and electric car
Despite the challenges, there are many benefits to shipping a hybrid or electric car. Some top reasons include saving money, saving time, and peace of mind.
- Save money: Shipping a car can be cheaper than driving it yourself. One of the main reasons people switch to hybrid or electric cars is to save money on gasoline. Shipping your hybrid or electric vehicle can help you save even more money by eliminating the need to drive your car to its destination.
- Save time: If you’re shipping your hybrid or electric car across the country, it will take you days or weeks to drive it yourself. Shipping your hybrid or electric vehicle can reach its destination faster than going it yourself.
- Avoid wear and tear: You don’t have to worry about the wear and tear on your car when you ship it, as it will be transported on a car carrier—no need to worry about mechanical issues, flat tires, dead batteries, or empty gas tanks.
- Peace of mind: Moving or relocating is already a stressful time. When you ship your hybrid or electric car, that is one less thing you have to worry about. You can relax knowing that your vehicle is in good hands and will arrive safely at its destination.
The cost of hybrid and electric car shipping
The cost of hybrid and electric shipping will vary depending on the details of your move. Every move is different, and many factors can affect the price. Some of the factors we take into consideration when quoting hybrid and electric car shipping rates include:
- Make and model: The make and model of your hybrid or electric car is one of the main factors in the shipping costs. Some vehicles are larger or heavier than others and take up more space on the car carrier, hence a higher price.
- Distance: The distance of your move is the second-biggest factor in your hybrid or electric car shipping costs. The further your hybrid or electric car needs to be transported, the more it will cost.
- Vehicle condition: If your hybrid or electric car is in good condition, it will be easier to ship. Inoperable vehicles require special equipment and take longer to load and unload, which will increase the cost of shipping.
- Type of shipping (open or enclosed): The shipping method you choose will also affect the cost of hybrid and electric shipping. Open carriers are generally less expensive than enclosed carriers. Still, enclosed carriers offer more protection for your hybrid or electric car.
- Seasonality: The time of year you move can affect hybrid and electric shipping costs. The demand for car shipping is higher in the summer than in the winter so rates will be higher during those times.
The best way to get an accurate estimate of shipping your hybrid or electric car is to contact a hybrid and electric car shipping company like Nationwide United Auto Transport to provide you with an instant auto shipping quote based on your specific needs.
How to prepare your hybrid or electric vehicle for shipping
When preparing your hybrid or electric vehicle for shipping, there are a few things you need to do to ensure a smooth and safe journey:
- Ensure your hybrid or electric car is in good condition: There are no fluid leaks, the battery is secure, and the tires are properly inflated.
- Clean your hybrid or electric car: Washing your hybrid or electric vehicle will make it look better and help you and the driver inspect your car for any damage.
- Remove personal items: For safety and security reasons, removing all personal items from your car before shipping them is best. Items include things like GPS devices, and toll passes, etc.
- Make sure there’s no more than 1/4 tank of gas: There’s no need to have a full gas tank. A full tank of gas adds weight to your hybrid car, increasing shipping costs.
- Fully charge the battery: Make sure your hybrid or electric car has a full charge before shipping. A fully charged battery will help avoid any issues with the battery during transport.
- Extra keys: You will need to give the driver a set of keys so they can load and unload your hybrid or electric car. If you have a spare set of keys, that would be ideal.
If you want more detailed information, ask your auto transport customer service agent or read Steps to Prepare Vehicle for Transport.
How to choose the right hybrid or electric shipping company for your needs
When choosing a hybrid or electric shipping company, ask about their experience shipping these types of vehicles. Not all shipping companies have experience shipping hybrid or electric cars, so it’s essential to find one that does.
Check their website or reviews to see if they have information about hybrid or electric car shipping. If they don’t mention hybrid or electric car shipping, they likely don’t have experience with it.
Lastly, be sure to ask about the shipping company’s insurance coverage. Hybrid and electric cars can be expensive, so you want to ensure your vehicle is properly insured during transport. It is always advisable to have your insurance and the company’s insurance.
Suppose you’re looking for a reliable hybrid or electric car shipping company. In that case, Nationwide United Auto Transport is your ideal company. We have years of experience shipping hybrid and electric cars and know how to do it safely and efficiently. We also offer comprehensive insurance coverage for your hybrid or electric car during transport. You can rest assured knowing your vehicle is in good hands.
Call us today at 800-311-8305 to get an instant shipping quote for your hybrid or electric car.