Multicar shipping is more popular with dealerships than with individuals. However, there are many reasons why an individual might need to ship more than one car at a time. Maybe you’re moving across the country and can’t take all your cars. Perhaps you’ve inherited a classic car collection. Or maybe you’ve bought a bunch of cars at auction and need to get them home. There are a few things to remember if you need to ship multiple cars.
Is it Cheaper to Ship Multiple Cars?
The first thing to know is that you will usually get a discount for shipping multiple cars. This is because it’s more efficient for the shipping company to send multiple vehicles simultaneously. They can load all the cars onto one truck and make one trip instead of numerous trips. This saves them time and money, and they will pass some of those savings on to you as a discount.
Don’t assume you will get a discount because you’re shipping multiple cars. Ask the shipping company if they offer a discount for multi-car shipping. Some companies will give you a flat rate per car, regardless of how many you’re shipping. Others will provide you with a percentage off the total cost if you’re shipping multiple vehicles.
How Much Does Multicar Shipping Cost?
Unlike other service-based products, car shipping does not have a set cost. The cost of shipping multiple cars will depend on a few different factors. The most crucial factor is the number of cars you’re shipping. The more cars you ship, the lower the price per vehicle will be. Other important factors include:
- Make, and Model – Some cars are larger or heavier than others, which means they will cost more to ship.
- Condition – If cars are not running, they may need special equipment to get them on the truck. This will make the cost go up.
- Transport Type – Open transport is the most common and least expensive type of car shipping. It will cost more if you need your cars to ship in an enclosed carrier.
- Distance – Generally, the further the distance, the more it will cost to ship your cars. But in some cases, the cost per mile decreases the longer the distance.
- Seasonality – Car shipping rates are usually highest in the spring and summer because that’s when most people move. If you ship your cars during these times, it will cost more.
Is Multi-Car Transport Better Than Single-Car?
Multicar transport is usually more convenient than single-car transport since you can have all your cars shipped simultaneously. This can be a big timesaver if you’re moving across the country or have an extensive car collection.
It’s important to remember that multi-car shipping is not always the best option. Sometimes, shipping multiple cars may be more expensive than shipping them individually. It all depends on the individual situation. If you’re considering shipping multiple vehicles, compare prices and options before deciding.
How Many Cars Can Be Shipped at Once?
Some carriers have multicar trailers that can accommodate up to nine vehicles, while others have car haulers that can only take two or three. Make sure to ask about their capacity so you can be sure they can handle your shipment.
In addition, some shipping companies will only ship cars that are delivering to the same destination at the same time. If you need to send vehicles to different places, you may not be able to get a discount, and you’ll have to use multiple carriers.
How Long to Ship Multiple Cars Cross Country?
The time it takes to ship multiple cars will depend on the distance, the number of vehicles being shipped, and the availability of carriers. In general, shipping a car from one side of the country to the other could take a week or more. However, if you’re shipping multiple cars going to the same place, it may only take a few days.
Does It Take Longer Than Shipping a Single Car?
If the carrier is hauling a whole load of cars going to different destinations, it will take longer than if they were shipping one car. However, shipping multiple cars to the same place may not take any longer than shipping a single vehicle. The bottom line is that if you need to ship multiple cars, it’s usually cheaper and faster to do it all at once.
How to Ship Multiple Cars Across Country?
The process for shipping multiple cars is similar to shipping a single car. You’ll need to research shipping companies, get quotes, and choose a carrier. There are a few other things to remember when shipping multiple vehicles. Here are a few tips:
- Book Early – Shipments can get backed up during peak times, so it’s best to book your shipment as early as possible. This will give you more flexibility with your schedule.
- Choose Transport Type – You don’t have to own a luxury or classic car to ship in an enclosed trailer. Enclosed is an excellent option for anyone who wants to ship their car long distance.
- Check Insurance Coverage – Make sure the shipping company you choose has insurance that will cover your car in case of an accident.
- Remove Personal Items – Don’t forget to remove all personal items from your car before shipping. The carrier is not responsible for lost or damaged items.
- 1/4 Tank of Gas – For safety and weight reasons, most shipping companies require that you ship your car with only a 1/4 tank of gas.
- Pick Ample Location – When the carrier arrives to pick up your cars, ensure there is plenty of room to load them onto the truck. Commercial parking lots are a great option.
- Detailed Inspection Upon Pickup and Delivery – Upon pickup and delivery, the driver will thoroughly inspect your car. Be sure to check for any damage that may have occurred during shipment.
Shipping Multiple Cars Safely Across Country
Choosing a reputable and experienced shipping company is essential if you’re shipping multiple cars. Be sure to research and get quotes from various companies before deciding. Once you’ve selected a carrier, follow the tips above to ensure a smooth and safe shipment.
If road and weather conditions concern you, consider enclosed shipping. This type of shipping offers the highest level of protection for your vehicle. It protects against bad weather, road debris, and even theft.
Shipping Multiple Cars in an Enclosed Trailer vs. Open Transport
Contrary to popular belief, an enclosed trailer is not just for luxury or classic cars. Many people choose to ship their everyday vehicles in an enclosed trailer for extra protection from the elements. Sometimes it may be cheaper to send multiple cars in an enclosed trailer because the carrier can fit more vehicles on one load.
If you’re looking for a reliable and experienced shipping company to transport multiple cars across the country, Nationwide United Auto Transport is here to help. We offer enclosed and open transport options to fit your needs. Our expert team will ensure your vehicles are shipped safely and securely. Have peace of mind knowing your cars are in good hands with Nationwide United Auto Transport.
For more information about our services or to get a quote, contact us today at 800-311-8305