Auto Transport has never been easier
The industry’s most trusted auto shipper. Our car transport carriers provide safe, dependable car shipping services nationwide.
How to ship a car: Start with the basics
Auto transport may appear as an excessively entangled process, particularly on the off chance that you’ve never done it. The process of transporting a vehicle across state or across the country is relatively the same. You’ll need information about your vehicle (year, make and model), pickup and delivery locations, and it’s likewise useful to have an approximate schedule for your move. Once you gather the essential information you’ll reach out to auto transport companies, in some cases brokers, to arrange for shipment. Both brokers and carriers provide the same services, the only difference: carriers directly handle the transport of your shipment while brokers arrange the transportation of your shipment.
Depending on your vehicle and its needs, open or enclosed transport is one of the primary decisions you’ll make when shipping a vehicle. 80% vehicle transports are done on open carriers while enclosed carriers are the preferred transport option for high end, luxury vehicles. Do not forget to mention if your vehicle is non-running. Additional equipment may be necessary to properly handle inoperable vehicles.
How much does it cost to ship a car?
Cost of transporting a vehicle, unlike many products and services, does not have a fixed dollar amount. Do not be fooled by car shipping quotes generated by a website’s “quote calculator” as they are merely estimates and your quote is subject to change. Our cost to ship a car is based on current market trends and determining factors that differ on an individual move basis. These factors include:
- Type of vehicle – Longer, taller or heavier-than-average vehicles require special accommodations and will be more expensive to ship.
- Condition of vehicle – Shipping inoperable cars costs more because it requires extra tools and labor.
- Type of transport – Open or enclosed transport is standard in the industry.
- Distance of transport – Longer runs have a higher overall price but lower cost per mile.
Obviously additional services like enclosed transport or expedite service will increase your transportation cost. If you would like the actual cost to ship your car, truck, van or other vehicle we recommend getting a quote by calling (800) 311-8305 and speaking to our transport specialists with the specifics about your transport.
Preparing vehicle for transport
An important aspect of auto transport that lacks adequate attention is preparedness. You can ensure your vehicle is ready for shipping by taking a few essential steps.
- Wash your vehicle – Clean and wash your vehicle’s interior and exterior. The vehicle must be almost entirely empty for transport.
- Document existing damage – Take pictures of existing dents or scratches. Pictures provide fair documentation in the event of a damage dispute.
- Remove after market parts – Some of these parts and components include antennas, DVD players, luggage racks, bike racks, toll passes, etc.
- 1/4 tank of gas – An almost empty tank will help save weight and help avoid additional charges. Run the gas tank down to a quarter or eight full.
- Perform mechanical inspection – Check breaks, including emergency breaks, battery, ignition, tires and fluids. Minor leaks can cause major problems, especially if vehicle is travelling hundreds of miles.
Servicing All 50 States
Our friendly and knowledgeable representatives are standing by to help answer any questions.
The distance, the vehicle make and model, and its condition are just a few of the details we’ll need.
Get A Quote
Our quotes are all inclusive. There are no hidden fees, no additional charges!